Languages, Libraries, and Tools
- Python — pip, Flask, Tornado, Twisted, Fabric, Pystache, Jinja2, Mako, the Standard Library, nose, flake8, uWSGI.
- PHP — Smarty, PHP Data Objects, WordPress Core/Plugin/Theme Development.
- Audio/Video/Graphics — FFmpeg/Libav, ImageMagick, Adobe Media Encoder/Photoshop/Fireworks/Premiere/Audition, Pro Tools, Final Cut Studio.
- Presentation and Interchange — HTML5, CSS3/SCSS, SVG, JSON/JSONP, XML, Media RSS, RESTful APIs.
- Storage and Messaging — MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, MogileFS, Amazon S3/Kinesis/RDS/ElastiCache, Memcached.
- Revision Control and Continuous Integration — Git (GitHub/GitLab), Team Foundation Server, Jenkins, Travis CI, Coveralls.
- Documentation — Markdown, reStructuredText, Jira Markup, MediaWiki Markup, Docblocks/Docstrings.
System Administration and DevOps
- Operating Systems — Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu, Windows Server (begrudgingly).
- HTTP Servers and Caching Proxies — Apache (Virtual Hosts, mod_rewrite, mod_dav), nginx/OpenResty, Varnish, Akamai CDN.
- Virtualization and Emulation — Amazon EC2, KVM, Oracle VM VirtualBox, VMware Workstation, Cygwin, XAMPP.
- Process Control — init.d, Upstart, Supervisor, Monit, cron.
- Provisioning — Puppet, Packer, Vagrant, Plesk.
- Monitoring — Nagios, logstash/Kibana, StatsD, logwatch, logrotate.
- Tools of the Trade — GNU Bash, Vim, Coreutils, Regular Expressions (PCRE), and a touch of Perl.
Office IT and Support
- Network Operations — pfSense, FreeNAS, OpenVPN, DD-WRT, Samba, AFP, Print Servers, Wi-Fi Tuning.
- Low-Voltage Infrastructure — Twisted-Pair/Coaxial Cable Routing, Punch-Down Blocks, Patch Panels, can crimp a pretty mean Ethernet cable.
- Diagnostics — Wireshark, Charles Proxy, Fiddler.
- Administration and Reporting — Google Apps for Work, Google Analytics, AWStats, Chartbeat, Quantcast.
- Audio Production — Freelance sound recording, editing, and mixing for independent films and shorts.
- Photography — Long-exposure night shots and time-lapse video sequences, shot digitally.
- Technical Writing and Drawing — Articles and sketches with insights on audio topics and the peculiarities of the Internet.
Senior Software Engineer at Amper Music New York, NY (remote) — May 2015 to present
Senior Engineer at Maker Studios (formerly Blip Networks) New York, NY — September 2013 to June 2015
- Developed and maintained backend software for ingesting, transcoding, and serving web video.
- Designed and implemented Python/Node.js APIs (some handling 1,800 requests/second at peak), microservices, caching layers, and monitoring.
- Built services to read real-time video events from external systems and synchronize the metadata to advertising providers.
- Refactored sections of a monolithic Perl application into independent loosely-coupled services.
- Puppetized legacy applications and services, moving some to virtualized Linux-KVM guests and others to Amazon EC2 instances.
Web Developer at Thomson Reuters New York, NY — January 2013 to September 2013
- Contributed to the Reuters Next project, a complete rewrite of the Reuters.com news platform with re-imagined UX interactions.
- Developed the public-facing site as well as the editorial CMS, both of which communicated through a JSON-based RESTful API.
- Assisted with backend Python development using the Tornado web framework, the standard library, and other external modules.
- Worked with modern frontend libraries and tools such as Backbone, Underscore, SCSS, Mustache, JSHint, and Jasmine for unit testing.
- Served on an agile team that practiced test-driven development and continuous integration using Git and Jenkins.
Senior Interactive Development Manager at Worldnow Long Island City, NY — November 2011 to January 2013
- Developed frontend code against a CMS platform used by many television news stations across North America.
- Implemented customizations and new site features on a client-by-client basis.
- Hand-converted Photoshop mockups to HTML and CSS code for site redesigns.
- Performed quality assurance testing with a wide range of browsers, at times going back as far as Internet Explorer 7.
Lead Developer at Abrams Media New York, NY — January 2010 to November 2011
- First engineering hire at a growing startup, eventually managed a team of three developers.
- Maintained and customized six WordPress sites which averaged 35-40 million total pageviews per month. Paid special attention to SEO.
- Served as the primary contact for system administration tasks, as well as providing technical assistance for the staff.
- Planned and installed the corporate network when the business relocated to larger office space.
- Developed ancillary applications, including a job search board, photo gallery, bulk email daemon, traffic analyzer, and management scripts.
Freelance Streaming Media Encoder at Wall Street Webcasting New York, NY — September 2009 to January 2010
- Responsible for streaming audio feeds from investment conferences across the country.
- Maintained proper audio levels on live events and ensured that any operational issues were dealt with promptly.
- Captured events to disk, then edited the recordings for permanent archive and on-demand streaming.
- Often required to multitask by handling several conferences simultaneously, or editing pre-recorded audio while also streaming live events.
Freelance Audio Production Greater New York City Area — July 2007 to January 2010
- Served as a crew member on six independent feature films, many short films, and webisodes.
- Performed occasional work in related fields, including music production, live theater, and art installations.
- Gained experience working in both on-set and post-production environments, capturing and editing media using all-digital workflows.
- Budgeted and scheduled to ensure prompt completion while maintaining a high quality of work.
New York Film Academy New York, NY — September 2006 to May 2007
- Competitive, accelerated program of study for film production.
- Produced, wrote, directed, and edited several short films.
- Worked in the camera, sound, and editorial departments of other students’ films.
Rochester Institute of Technology Rochester, NY — September 2004 to May 2006
- Computer Science Major.
- Member of Computer Science House — Worked on projects spanning a multitude of disciplines.
- 2009 Open Video Conference — Presentation on YouTube’s Audio Fingerprinting System with Follow-Up Discussion.
- Audio Engineering Society (AES) — Associate Member.
- Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) — Former Member.